At the sanctuary can be found friendly tame cats, skittish feral cats, tame cats who occasionally forget they’re supposed to like humans (I’m talking to you, Baby), and feral cats who gradually forget to be scared. Spot is one of the latter.
“Of all the feral kittens we have tamed,” says the text accompanying his photo on in the sanctuary gallery page, “Spot turned out the best by far. He likes to climb onto our backs and snuggle.”
He also likes to participate in the international cat sports of Sunbathing…
Although Spot’s name makes sense in terms of his markings, I thought most people are probably more used to coming across this name as a classic dog name. So I hit Google to check and discovered an amusing pop culture reference…
– any Trekkies lurking about out there will be way ahead of me already –
Apparently, the character Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation had a cat named Spot which was featured in a number of episodes. Yes. There’s even a section on his Wikipedia page.
Even more entertaining, there exists poem by Data addressed to said cat. I suspect our Spot would quibble with the idea that a cat is “not sentient”, but other than that he’d probably take the tribute in the spirit meant.
- Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
- An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
- Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
- Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.
- I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
- A singular development of cat communications
- That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
- For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
- A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
- You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
- And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion,
- It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.
- O Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
- Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
- And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
- I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.